Re: midish and alsasequencer

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 13:34:54 CEST
On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 09:48:11PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Alexandre!
>   I want to make midish aware of alsaseq-clients. What I'd like to have midish
> to be able to write and read from hardware midi and still be able to connect
> to alsaseq clinets both incoming and outgoing. From what you've written am I
> correct in supposing the following:
> Attach one hardware device as "rw" and attach the virmidi-card twice, once as
> "wo" and once as "ro"?
> And then use filter rules to map events between them
> like:
> map 0 (hardware) to 1 and 1 to 0.
> map 0 to 2 and 2 to 0?
>   Or am I still getting it a bit wrong?

You're correct, except that you should attach only once
the virmidi in read-write "rw" mode, as device 1, and then
map 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 as you do.

BTW, it may be handy to turn on filter debug mode (with
'debug filt 1') so that all midi events are displayed on the
console.

since i'm not a big alsa user, i'm interested on your feedback and
your tips

cheers,

-- Alexandre