Re: Getting started with midish

From: Julien Claassen <julien_at_c-lab.de>
Date: Sun Aug 30 2009 - 10:16:08 CEST
HelloBob!
   A few answers I can give. About a few, I'm not too sure.
1. midish and rmidish
  It's a kind of server thing. midish is the server and rmidish is the
frontend.

2.  What sound-system do you have. If it's not ALSA, you'd want the old device
type. If it is ALSA, you can do this:
aconnect -li
aconnect -lo
   to see your soundcards devices. You might get something like this:
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
     0 'Timer           '
     1 'Announce        '
         Connecting To: 128:0
client 16: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 0-0' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 0-0     '
         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
         Connected From: 128:0
client 17: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 0-1' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 0-1     '
         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
         Connected From: 128:0
client 18: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 0-2' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 0-2     '
         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
         Connected From: 128:0
client 19: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 0-3' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 0-3     '
         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
         Connected From: 128:0
client 20: 'M Audio Delta 1010LT' [type=kernel]
     0 'M Audio Delta 1010LT MIDI'
         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
         Connected From: 128:0

   Which tells you, that my soundcard (M Audio Delta 1010LT has port number 20.
VirMIDI is a virtual MIDI device, only used for some routing purposes mostly.
   If you don't have ALSA your midishrc might contain - instead of dnew -
something like this:
devattach 0 "/dev/midi" rw
or
devattach 0 "/dev/midi0" rw
   This is more OSS style.

3. Recording MIDI files. Best use rmidish. It can playback and recrod at the
same time. rmidish will record to midish's own format. You can save it with:
save "file.msh"
   The extension might also be something else of your choosing.
   To save a MIDI file do:
export "my.mid"
   inside rmidish.
   About creating tracks and defining input channels, you'd best go into the
documentation. I found it rather helpful. I can't properly remember, but I
think there was something like getting started.
   Kindest regards
            Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net