Re: Getting started with midish

From: Bob van der Poel <bob_at_mellowood.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 30 2009 - 20:51:05 CEST
Thanks, Julien, for taking time to reply. Unfortunately ... no joy :)

> 1. midish and rmidish
>  It's a kind of server thing. midish is the server and rmidish is the
> frontend.

Okay. I think I understand that. So, if I'm writing a script I'll use
midish, etc.

Just noticed that smfrec/play are scripts as well ... unfortunately, I can't
seem to either to work. Just tired smfplay and get the unhelpful (to me)
output:

 bob$ smfplay -d/dev/midi stranger.mid
track_check: xpc {0 9} 0 ffff: duplicated
track_check: noff {0 9} 52 64: bogus
alsa_open: couldn't parse alsa port
press ^C to stop playback

But, no output.

> 2.  What sound-system do you have. If it's not ALSA, you'd want the old
> device type. If it is ALSA, you can do this:

Yes, I've got ALSA. And it works for midi playback just fine. I have a
M-Audio 24/96 card running an external synth. ALSA aconnect, etc. tells me
that the port is 16:0

bob$ aplaymidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
 16:0    M Audio Audiophile 24/96         M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI

and I have edited /etc/midishrc to reflect this:

bob$ less /etc/midishrc
#
# midi devices config
#
#dnew 0 "/dev/rmidi4" rw
#dnew 1 "/dev/rmidi3" rw
#
#
dnew 0 "16:0" rw
dnew 1 "16:0" rw

I just added the dnew 1 line, but it makes no difference

> 3. Recording MIDI files. Best use rmidish. It can playback and recrod at
> the same time. rmidish will record to midish's own format.

Okay. I guess I can write my own version of smfrec to do this. But, I have
to get the package working first. I really have no idea ... and the entire
midish is way to much to learn just now.

Thanks.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@mellowood.ca