Re: Usng filters to block midi sensing

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Sat Oct 09 2010 - 16:05:15 CEST
On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 09:30:27PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>   Is there a way to write a filter in Midish, that blocks midi
> sensing from coming through?

Hey,

Sensing is discarded before it reaches the filter. Then, for each
output device, new sensing is generated.

Sensing is here just to check that midi cables are still alive, it's
used by no midi hardware/software except to detect bad cables. It's
unlikely to be a problem. If you think it's a problem, you could
modify mididev_putack() and see if disabling sensing helps, and if so,
see what's appropriate.

>   The task I'm performing or trying to:
> debug filt 1
> [capture output]
>   Parse the output for movement of a control knob. This is for
> "controller learning". So I can turn a controler and an application
> sitting ontop of midish will bind that controller to a control
> parameter of its own.
>   If this isn't simple or not possible at the moment: Would it be
> able to write such a learn mode. So I can start midish and it will
> stop, the moment a controller has been moved and then output the
> controller number and the channel it was sent on?

there's no such a feature. To experiment, you could look at how
blt_play() is implemented and add a new function, this way you could
see whether it fills your needs. Don't hesitate to ask if you have
questions about the code.

cheers

-- Alexandre