Re: Problems setting up Midish to work with my Midi interface, keyboard and sound module

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 00:13:08 CEST
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:41:43PM +0100, John Robinson wrote:
> Hi Alexander and many thanks for your e-mail.  I'm using Midish
> version 1.0.4-1ubuntu1 which I installed from the Ubuntu repository.
> Typing dnew 0 "20:0" rw does, as you suggested allow me to play my
> keyboard and hear the notes I'm playing through my sound module.  I
> am, however, not able to play any files.  I extracted 'sample.sng'
> using Gunzip, but when I loaded it into Midish, I got the error "';'
> or new line expected" and when I hit 'p' to play the song, I did not
> get an error, but heard no sound either.  This also happened when I
> imported Midi files into Midish with the 'Import' command.  Any
> suggestions as to what to try next would be very useful.

hey,

Good that you hear what you're playing on the keyboard, that means
that the device is properly setup. You can put the dnew line in your
~/.midishrc file to avoid typing the dnew command every time.

I guess, you forgot the the pair of quotes around the file name, ex:

	load "/path/to/sample.sng"
	import "/path/to/file.mid"

Quotes are necessary because file names may contain special
characters.

-- Alexandre