Re: midish and Fedora 19 x86_64

From: edgar <edgar-rft_at_web.de>
Date: Thu Jan 16 2014 - 17:13:26 CET
Am Fri, 17 Jan 2014 01:02:20 +1100
schrieb Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au>:

> Alexandre (?),
>
> I have this system and have just installed midish and I like it
> because it is small, fast and CLI - I can record input, create midi
> files but I can't play anything (timidity works) - details:
>
> aseqdump -l
>
>   Port    Client name                      Port name
>    0:0    System                           Timer
>    0:1    System                           Announce
>   14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
>   20:0    AXIS-49 2A                       AXIS-49 2A MIDI 1
>
> This script does not work:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> trap : 2
>
> for arg; do
> midish -b <<END
> dnew 0 "14:0" wo
> import "$arg"
> END
> done
>
> Any ideas about a fix? - Am I forced to use VirMidi?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

According to your "aseqdump -l" listing, the script line:

dnew 0 "14:0" wo

uses your "Midi Through Port-0" as playback device, where I assume
that this is probably not what you want.

aseqdump is not particularly helpful to find MIDI playback ports.

For example, if I start fluidsynth, and then type "aseqdump -l"
I get the following list, where fluidsynth doesn't appear at all:

edgar@compaq-evo:~$ aseqdump -l
 Port    Client name              Port name
  0:0    System                   Timer
  0:1    System                   Announce
 14:0    Midi Through             Midi Through Port-0

But using "aconnect -o" the fluidsynth port is shown:

edgar@compaq-evo:~$ aconnect -o
 Client 14: 'Midi Through' [Typ=Kernel]
     0 'Midi Through Port-0'
 Client 128: 'FLUID Synth (7195)' [Typ=User]
     0 'Synth input port (7195:0)'

If I now use the line:

dnew 0 "7159:0" wo

Then I can play MIDI events via fluidsynth.

- edgar