Re: Plea for features

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Mon Dec 17 2012 - 12:43:07 CET
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 09:28:16PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Alexandre!
>   While experimenting further with Midish/rmidish I had one or two
> ideas. For a start: everything is working fine. A few hardware
> troubles have gone away and my list of personal procedure is growing
> slowly.
>   First I second the plea for marks. Very useful, especially for
> easily preselecting certain parts of a piece (verse, bridge,
> chorus...) to copy them.
>   then I didn't see a means so far, to determine, how long the
> current track is. I ended up selecting generously and hoping, that
> this would get all the track.
>   Then track groups would be nice. In Nama we call those "bunches".
> They are just a named group or list of tracks with nothing else in
> common. that way it's shorter to perform a few collected actions.

multi-track selection, position markers, loops and many others are
on my todo list. Diffs are welcome though :)

>   Is there a way to automagically create a new d3evice, without
> knowing a device number per se? I was thinking about adding software
> synths. these might be added as I go along. Right now my procedure
> give them predetermined device numbers, but it might be nice to get
> a number from midish. A function, that would return the first free
> device number might be a lovely feature.

indeed, using identifiers rather than port numbers seems very nice,
yet someone have to do the job.

afaics, this means:

(1) add the identifier as a new device attribute and switch all
    device functions into using identifiers rather than port
    numbers.

(2) allow the device names to port number mapping to be
    save/restored in song files

(3) handle compatibility issues (old song files should just work).

-- Alexandre