Re: MIDI out randomly not working

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:23:07 +0100
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 07:13:27PM +0100, Andrea Bianchini wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to make a simple connection between a Roland SPD-1E and a
> MIDI out port (via RME interface), with note change.
> the .midishrc is this:
>
> dnew 1 "SPD-1E" ro
> dnew 2 "16:0" wo
>
> inew spd1E {1 9}
> onew out {2 9}
>
> fnew devmap
> fmap {note spd1E 60} {note out 38}

> debug mididev 1
>
> SPD-1E is the client name for SPD-1E
>
> 16:0 is the port number for RME MIDI Interface (RME Card has another MIDI
> port 16:32 - unused)
>
> everithing works fine except for the fact that when I run midish, 50% of
> times I've no out... I have to simply stop and relaunch.
> after two or three times it start working. if I stop midish and restart I
> have to try some times, and then it starts.

Hi,

By "stop midish" do you mean using the "s" function or terminating the
program and restarting it?

> it seems something related with the output cause I always can see the input
> notes (with debug mididev), even when there's no output.
> no related MIDI in/out on the same hardware when I connect with acconnect or
> Ardour.
> i'm running Ubuntu Linux 22.04, midish version 1.3.3 compiled from source.
>
> I would like to understand why it randomly doesn't work and how to solve.
> tnx for the great job.

Do you see any difference in aconnect output when midish works and
when it doesn't?

Could you confirm (with 'debug mididev 1') that in both cases midish
tries to send the notes to the output?

Thanks
Alexandre