Re: Hello! Question about midi tuning standard support

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:39:15 +0100
On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 08:10:06AM -0500, Dale Mountain wrote:
> Hello all! I've been looking into using midish. However, I want to mess
> around with microtones, which has support in the Midi Tuning Standard. I'm
> not seeing anything about it in the documentation. Am I correct in assuming
> it's not currently implemented in midish? If not, it seems easy enough to
> add as a filter. I'll be happy to do it, I just want to make sure I'm not
> doing something that's already been done.
>
> Have a nice day everyone!

Hi,

I used to play microtonal music using the sysex messages of the MIDI
tuninqg starndard. Midish simply replayed the sysex messages generated
with another tool.

This requires the synth to support the corresponding standard (which
was my case). You could define custom events (short sysex pattens with
one or two parameters) and bind them to controllers to change the
tuning in real-time

Do you know which messages your synth supports?

Do you need to change the temperament in real-time?

Another approach that I tried (but gave up quickly) was to abuse the
pitch-bend controller to change the pitch of each note. This requires
each note to be played on its own channel; certain controllers can do
this, but not mines. This limited the number of notes, forced the same
patch for all channels, broke pitch-bend, so I didn't use this.